Email has been use by almost everyone. In the office, this is the most important tool in communicating to colleagues and of course to your Boss. Even though it is the most important tool in communication, yet many people abuse its uses. Well the sad part is, they do not know that they are using it abusively.
Being nicer on sending messages using internet email is important and it gives the recipient a notion of professionalism. Always say please when writing an email.
Below are some tips on how you can be professional on handling an email.
1. Never forget to fill in the subject line. Write a topic that will describe on the content of your email. I received a mail with subject ‘Important!’ As an email recipient it sounds scary and would let me think something bad. This is very unprofessional. No matter how important is your email is, never use ‘Important’ as the subject line. Always the subject line is in line with your message. If you want to let know the recipient that your letter is important, you can use the flag.
2. When writing the content, always put emphasis on the main reason why you initiated to write.
3. Be clear when you start writing the message. Like for example if it is really urgent, you can say, ‘Please send me the report on our Collection yesterday. I will need it at 3:00 pm today. Thank you’. Always be clear on your instruction. Do not say, Please email me the report, I will need it at 3:00 pm today. Remember that there are many reports associated with business or work. You should specify clearly so that the email recipient will know exactly what you need thus, he or she will response fast to your need.
4. Do not use capital letters to emphasize word. Remember that in writing, when you use capital letters it means that you are shouting or you are mad or angry. Always use lower case or small letters even to those words that need emphasis. You can emphasize the word by bolding it. Also avoid using red letters. It is as same as capital letters.
5. Avoid word abbreviation. Like please for please. It is unethical and unprofessional. Although please is common and is understood by all, still it is unprofessional to use it in writing an email.
6. When writing be specific and polite. If you think your message is long, consider reducing it. Take note of this, the longer your message is, the lesser it becomes understandable.
7. Common words that are often forgotten like please and thank you are two professional words and should be use when writing email. Do not sound bossy even when writing to your subordinates.
8. After you end your mail, it is appropriate to write your full name and signature if you can. You must also include your full address. Use your company address not your home address and of course your designation and telephone number.